Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Night in the Commie Bar

.



If there's one thing experience has taught me, it's that nobody believes a word I say.  And yet I am the most honest of men!  There seems to be something inherently untrustworthy about my affect.

So I am compelled to present proof (above) that the KGB Bar is indeed a Communist dive and proud of it.

Marianne and I drove up to NYC last night for the Fantastic Fiction at KGB monthly reading, this one featuring Linda Addison and Gregory Frost.  An evening of booze and literature in a small but funky bar crammed with serious literary types (such as writer Richard Bowes, above right, listening to Linda read).  What's not to love?

To the left is Linda herself, looking candlelit and authorial.  Not pictured is Gregory Frost, because I didn't take any interesting snaps of him.  Except for the one in the stuffed-toy-tiger hat, smirking.  But I don't post undignified photos of friends.  Anyway, it came out blurry.

*

5 comments:

SpeakerToManagers said...

nobody believes a word I say

Of course not, you're a writer (trans: "professional liar"). But hey, I believe anyone who can write such scrupulously honest journals of the adventures of a pair like Darger and Surplus.

By the way, there is a new Russian Imperial Stout made by Widemer Brewing called "KGB" which is quite good, and should play into the ambiance of the KGB bar quite well.

Gregory Frost... said...

Yes, yes, Commie bar, Richard Bowes...but how WAS I?

Michael Swanwick said...

Greg, you were of course MAGNIFICENT. Dear God, has the dumbing-down of our culture progressed so far that this actually needs to be said?

And just the combination of the words Russian and Imperial and Stout makes me want to try that beer.

Victoria Janssen said...

Even I know you were awesome, Greg, and I wasn't even there.

Neil_in_Chicago said...

I've found myself saying, "I don't make things up. I don't have to," so regularly it's become an official tagline.

Of course truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.
-- Mark Twain