Thursday, January 27, 2011

Scribbledehobbledehoyden: The Magpie's Eye: Page 16

.


Another whimsy which came to nothing.  The reason so little in this notebook comes to fruition is that I was concurrently writing Dancing With Bears.  I simply didn't have the free time to work up essays or stories.  That didn't stop me looking for them, though.

Here, I was toying with writing an essay titled "The [Number] Basic Food Groups."  The number would have been filled in when I finished:

Chocolate, of course, though some of us believe that chocolate is not a food but a flavoring, like garlic or butter or salt.  And that eaten alone it is a sad commentary on the self – that one cannot afford a slice of apple, or nougat, or a lover’s body to slowly and lovingly pour it over.  But, by popular acclaim.
Then wine.  If soup is food and vichyssoise is soup and therefore food, then wine is equally food and in certain aspects far more nutritious than that thin, watery, cold stuff served out at that restaurant your mother likes so much.  Only, perhaps it should be alcohol – not that alcohol is good for you, it isn’t – but because then we could all have a second martini and chalk it up to good nutrition.  So, booze.
Then brie.  I know!  I know!  You want it to be cheese.  But cheeses are not interchangeable.  That is part of their charm.  


I probably could have made something of this essay.  But it wouldn't have been worth the effort.  So I dropped it.

In the first paragraph, "afford" would surely have been replaced by "arrange."

*

No comments: