Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The creature LIVES!!! It LIVES!!! It LIVES!!!

.


Guess what just came in the mail five minutes ago.  Two entire boxes of Dancing With Bears, my very first Darger & Surplus novel.  I am in print again.

So how does it feel?  Keeping in mind that I've been doing this for decades and that this is my eighth novel?

Well . . .  You know how in Michelangelo's Last Judgment in the Sistine Chapel, amid all the grand drama of the resurrection of the dead and their judgment and sorting and being raised to Heaven and thrown down to Hell, way down to the bottom left, there's a grey figure pulling himself out of the grave with his eyes closed and head lifted in quiet ecstasy as, for the first time in millennia, he feels a gentle breeze against his kin?

It feels like that.  It feels like I'm wholly alive again.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new Swanwick to look forward too! I am so excited, I have been a big fan for years starting with Stations of the Tide and The Iron Dragon's daughter. Thanks for your hard work- I can't wait to set my eyes on the result.

Saladin Ahmed said...

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Can't wait to read it. Will there be a Kindle edition?

HANNAH'S DAD said...

Excellent. I look forward so much to reading it.

I like your description of what it feels like. Congratulations on being wholly alive.

Erin English said...

Being a fan of yours ever since my parents mistakenly bought me "iron dragon's daughter" from the library's used book sale, I can say I am incredibly excited.

Keith Ferrell said...

One hates to ask for any hastening of passing time, but can't it please be May 17 soon?

Yeah, I know -- soon enough it will be. But still.

JJM said...

Mine's on pre-order with Amazon. I await with great eagerness the smiley box on the front steps. :)
--Mario

Nick Kessler said...

Cool! This means I have about 3 weeks to finish The Dragons of Babel. On a mission now...