Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Rainy Day on the Road

.



This is what America looks like from the road.

As always, I've been on the road again.  Today I was passing through the Laurel Highlands in Pennsylvania during a flood watch.  Oh, man, there was water everywhere!  Pouring down on either side of the road.  Roostertailing from every passing truck and car.  Crossing the road in impromptu streams.  Pouring down driveways deep enough to keep a trout alive.  Cascading down dirt roads like tangles of waterfalls.  It was pouring from the sky and rushing down the land.  Water was triumphant and not at all gracious about it.

I pulled into Ruffs Dale and there was a Water Company truck in the middle of the road with a very wet workman staring down at a manhole cover from which water was gushing furiously.  He had his hands on his hips and a "What do I do now?" expression on his face.  I could do nothing to help, so on I drove.

But now I'm home, and damnably grateful to be here.  Time to get out of these wet things and into a dry martini.


Above:  Ruffs Dale, Pennsylvania.  There's a business there that sells clocks and lamp posts and statues of liberty.  Is this a great country or what?  Photo by M. C. Porter.

*

No comments: