Wednesday, February 7, 2018

In Print In China!

.



Look what came in the mail! I'm in print in China again.

This happens often enough to be flattering, but it never loses its thrill for me. People half the world away want to read my stories. I've met some of them. Some of them are my friends. This is a very big deal for me. 

The greatest reward a writer gets is being part of the community of writers. Yeah, the money is useful because it helps keep one from starving to death. But knowing that someone like Paul Park or Greer Gilman or Zhang Haihong takes you seriously as a writer is the real payoff. And of course there's always the thought that among your readers are probably some very remarkable people. About ten years ago, Haihong introduced me to a quiet but confident man named Liu Cixin who, she assured me, was the best science fiction writer in China. It was only much later, when I read The Three-Body Problem that I understood why she admired him so.

The book is World's Science Fiction Stories Collection II. It contains eighteen stories, all translated from English. My contribution to the book is "Steadfast Castle."


Above: Even the Dragonstairs Prss rug dragon is impressed by the collection.

*




4 comments:

Unknown said...

And in addition to it your 'Not So Much, Said the Cat' and your story 'Goblin Lake' as well as the rest of 'All-New Tales' anthology edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio were translated into Russian and now are in all major bookshops.

Alexei

Michael Swanwick said...

I hadn't heard about the Gaiman-Sarrantonio translation. Very cool. I believe it will go over well in Russia.

Unknown said...

Now you know. And all the splendor of Russian book design will follow on twitter.

Alexei

DanP said...

Congratultaions, Michael!